In The Kitchen
How to cook the perfect eye fillet steak...
It's one of the questions a chef is most commonly asked: Just how do I get my steak perfect every time?
Mikey Newlands, head chef at Bracu shares his top tips to get you started.
COOKING THE PERFECT EYE FILLET STEAK
Cooking steaks correctly is an experience thing and each oven/pan combination will give you a different result....there a few universal tricks though that will help you achieve a better result:
- I prefer medium rare especially with eye fillet.
- In the summer I cook them over a charcoal grill.
- In winter I cook them in a heavy cast iron pan on the oven.
- Always bring your steak up to room temperature an hour before cooking, this allows more even cooking and better heat distribution
- I always finish my steaks in the pan with a knob of butter and handful of robust herbs (whatever I have around, thyme, rosemary etc), rest your meat.
- No matter how good it looks straight out of the pan it will taste better five to ten minutes later resting in a warm place.
Good luck & enjoy, Mikey
Join Bracu Restaurant & Villa Maria Estate for a 'Wine & Dine' Exclusive Event.
Let us collect you from Auckland's CBD where you will be taken to Villa Maria Estate for a guided tour followed by a wine tasting. Learn more about Villa Maria’s exquisite wine, their regions and grape varieties. Experience for yourself why they hold the title of New Zealand’s most awarded winery for over 30 years.
At mid-day we travel 30 minutes south to Simunovich Olive Estate in Bombay where you will enjoy a 2 course lunch menu at the award winning Bracu Restaurant. Relax in the country atmosphere and take in the beautiful sights of the olive grove.
Once finished, we travel back to the city and deliver you to the CBD.
For more information, click here.
Ticket price includes; Transport, winery tour and tasting, 2 course lunch and olive oil tasting.
Metro Runner-up, Best Rural Restaurant
County house luxury: in a grand villa surrounded by the olive groves of the Simunovich estate, chef Mikey Newlands offers superb "moden classic" dishes, with an impressive wine list to match.
Destination Magazine - Cooking In The Country At Bracu
Chef Chat - "Micheal Newlands' style is elegant county dining with a sophisticated approach to country fare."
Metro Magazine - Top 50 Best Outdoor Eating 2014
Bracu - "with a meastro for a chef, a beautiful villa and even more beautiful grounds in the midst of a squillion olive trees, no one does country half as well."
Page 1 of 3